Cheesy Biscuits Vegan
Yield: 8 Biscuits
- ½ c coconut oil
- Vegan egg; 1 tbsp flax meal + 2 tbsp water
- ½ c nutritional yeast
- 1 c brown rice flour
- ¾ c arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1 c unsweetened plain cashew yogurt, or any unsweetened oat/nut yogurt
- 1 tsp maple
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon
- Spread coconut oil thin and flat on a sheet pan with parchment paper or waxed paper down, and freeze for 15 minutes. In a small bowl, mix together the flax meal and water to make a vegan egg. Set to the side. Place parchment paper on another cookie sheet, and grease with non-stick spray. Whisk nutritional yeast, brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and guar gum in a bowl together.
- Preheat oven to 400. Take plate with coconut oil out of the freezer. Cut or break with your hands the solid flat oil into pea-kidney bean sized pieces.. Add to dry ingredients and mix with pastry blender, fork or fingers. *You want to keep the coconut oil hard and pea sized in the dough.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, maple syrup, olive oil, lemon, and the vegan egg. Pour into dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon about 40 strokes. You want the ingredients to just incorporate and be slightly lumpy.
- Grease a 2 oz scoop, or ¼ dry measuring cup. Scoop flat scoops of dough onto the parchment paper, evenly spread out. Bake for 14-18 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. *Use a spatula to check the bottoms more easily.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.
You must be logged in to post a comment.