- 1- 9″ or 10″ gluten-free pie crust * I use the recipe from my Happy Baking & Desserts cookbook
For the filling
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3⁄4 cup coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot starch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon guar gum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt, fine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg yolks
For the meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- Bake Pie crust as instructed on package or recipe then set aside for further use.
- Preheat oven to 375 °.
- To make the filling: Add almond milk, avocado oil, coconut oil, 3⁄4 c coconut
sugar, brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, guar gum, sea salt and vanilla to a medium size saucepan. Turn on medium high heat and whisk occasionally, until it comes to a boil. Bring to a simmer, whisk constantly and cook for 3 minutes.
- Whisking quickly add the egg yolks, and continue to whisk constantly for 3-5 minutes, over medium heat, until desired thickness. Pour into baked pie shell and set aside.
- To make the meringue: In a small bowl add coconut sugar and apple cider vinegar and toss lightly together. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, use a hand maxier to whisk egg whites into a very soft peak, where translucent foam is created. While the whisk is still going, add coconut sugar/apple cider vinegar mixture to the egg whites and whisk for 1 minute. Then, add baking powder and whisk into a hard peak.
- Spread meringue over butterscotch filling in any design you would like. *Some people like dollops, so like it spread even, others like the wave look.
- Place in the preheated oven, and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the meringue is golden brown.
- Let cool completely before serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for best results.