Makes: 8 biscuits
- ½ c coconut oil
- 1 vegan egg (1 ½ tbsp flax meal + 2 ½ tbsp water)
- 1 ¼ c brown rice flour
- ¾ c arrowroot starch
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp guar gum
- 1 c unsweetened coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- Spread coconut oil thin and flat on a sheet pan with parchment paper or waxed paper down, and freeze for 15 minutes. Place parchment paper on another cookie sheet, and grease with non-stick spray. Whisk brown rice flour, arrowroot starch, baking powder, salt and guar gum in a bowl together.
- Make vegan egg in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400. Take plate with coconut oil out of the freezer. Cut or break with your hands the solid flat oil into pea-kidney bean sized pieces. Add to dry ingredients bowl and mix with pastry blender, fork or fingers. *You want to keep the coconut oil hard and pea sized in the dough.
- In a separate bowl, whisk yogurt, maple syrup, avocado oil, lemon, and the vegan egg. Pour into dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon about 40 strokes. You want the ingredients to just incorporate and be slightly lumpy.
- Grease a 2 oz scoop, or ¼ dry measuring cup. Scoop flat ??? of dough onto the parchment paper, evenly spread out. Bake for 16-20 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. *Use a spatula to check the bottoms more easily.
- Remove from oven and let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving.